Let's get CLASSICAL!!!

"REE, of all the posts you've written, the one about the Importance of Being Ernest was my least favourite," my brother told me politely.

I didn't take offense at all, the fact that he had read all of them was compliment enough! He can join my small group of weekly avid readers which includes my mum....my step-mum, sister, future sis-in-law.......did I mention my mum? Thank goodness I'm from a large family! (If you are part of this rather exclusive group, please make yourself known by commenting at the bottom of this blog or send me an email at mareewrites@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you).

So, Nicholas...if that is your real name...sink your teeth into this one! It's about classical writing as well!

Let's get CLASSICAL!

I started to read Emma by Jane Austen the other day...

sdal;kfjhwaeiotweat9wra

Oh sorry, I just fell asleep on my keyboard thinking about it.

I'm not really being fair. I started to read it when I was jet-lagged and on a flight to Brisbane from Perth, after many flights. I'd just finished Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion so you can imagine my state of mind.   Because of the millions or billions who swear by Jane Austen novels and from almost as many films based on them, I owe it to the world to give it another crack...one day.

Anyway...seeing I couldn't muster up the attention for an Austen novel a week ago, I'm going to give you a quick wrap of Pygmalion.

I've tried to make it brief...and what's more brief than a limerick! (Sorry Nick, next time i'll do a Haicu - a three-lined Chinese poem).

There once was a girl who sold flowers,
Along came the man with the powers,
Taught her a word or two,
Gave her a dress and shoe,
It took her hours and hours.

Eliza Doolittle was her name,
Higgins, he made her the game,
Manners fit for a king,
Hats and lots of bling,
As it wasn't My Fair Lady, she didn't need to sing.

When Eliza eventually succeeded,
It was the confidence she finally needed,
To own a flower shop,
Perhaps date a cop,
But it was madness instead she heeded.

It's unclear how it concludes,
Although Shaw's explanation exudes,
Eliza married a chap,
And all that sap,
And started her own family feuds.

oh....I wonder how I can include the most random quote of the play: "You damned impudent slut, you!" Surprised? I was too when I read it!

Weekly invention: I wonder how many ideas could be generated if an eight-ball was ten times the size.

Next week?





Comments

  1. Hahahaha Well done Ree!

    As for your invention....
    I'm trying to decide what kind of eight ball you're thinking of here. If it's the one I'm thinking of, well, let's just say that ten times the average eight ball is a lot of gear. So... a hell of a lot of ideas would most definitely come from it some way or another. hahaha

    Nick B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Maree,

    Rest assured, your blog has found its way through the digital ether and captivated one more dedicated reader to your blog. Of which your success can be evidently appeased, as by addition I am not another family member!

    Perhaps by kindred energy, I love following your weekly traverse through life and encounters, being a person too who writes as they think/speak (thank you Virginia Woolf for making what others used to call crazy, now termed the artistic prose of "Stream of Consciousness "). Now if only I could sell that for millions. I think you might beat me to the punch with your eight-ball.

    Great work, and looking forward to your continual wordsmithery :)

    Mr. Tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr Tea,

      Thank you for commenting, it's made my day! Yes, "Stream of Consciousness" is the perfect description of what I do!

      Do you write a blog? If, so, please send me the link and I'll have a read.

      Have a great day!

      Maree

      Delete
    2. Dear Maree,

      Glad to have made your day! If only it could always be so easy, haha!

      Yes, "Stream of Consciousness" but with plenty of structure and well defined subject matter - maybe you need to be cause for the invention of a new style?! Perhaps it could be called "Butterworthing", or "Buttersmithing"? I really don't think we use references to "smithing" as much as we could these days.

      I don't currently write a blog, or more to the point have only maintained my traditional "analog-blog" ie journal-type writing. But, your blog has certainly inspired me to make use of our modern age and start one. I will keep you posted when I finally do!

      Have a great day too, and take care.

      Mr. Tea

      P.S. Looking forward to your "smithing" references, etc, etc. No patent pending ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Let's get...theoretical!

musical...happy Valentine's Day...