…er…perspectival?

Watch this video. I'll refer to it later. But please come back to my blog…although I'll totally understand if you just go on to watch the best Scrubs moments.



There are always people in worse situations than you and it's instances like the following little (probably overly exaggerated) anecdote that reminds me.

A few weeks' ago I went shopping with my mate Jess. I am a terrible shopper. I hate it. So, she often has to bribe me with, "Come shopping with me? I'll buy you dinner?"

Waiting for payday and with $12.28 in my bank account with my gym membership (an ambitious $15.95) to come out the following day, I felt I had no choice but to willingly oblige to a free feed, oh and of course Jess' delightful company.

My step-mum has had to do the same in the past when it's come to shopping:

"Come to Bunnings, I'll buy you an ice cream!!!!?!!!???"

"No!!!!! ……Hang on…what sort of ice cream?"

I like to think my dislike for shopping comes from growing up with boys….although I think at times my brothers dress more dapper than I do….but that's another story.

Fortunately this occasion's shop was an express one. We were in about 7.30pm and were out by close.

Funny word, 'express'. When I was younger I thought the short coffee was an 'expresso' rather than an 'espresso'. Being an 'expresso' meant it was made and consumed super fast.

Back to the shopping centre - the aim was for Jess to get a pedicure. So after dinner and a quick look around, we headed to the nail place.

Jess offered me a pedicure and while I knew there were probably more worthwhile things I could owe money to a friend for, I decided that I'd much rather owe Jess money than wander around the shopping centre looking at clothes I couldn't purchase for $12.28.

Afterwards, because I hadn't planned for the pedicure, the therapist pointed to my enclosed shoes, "You didn't wear thongs? You'll have to go barefoot to the car!"

"Gross," I thought to myself thinking of every single bit of bacteria that could be between the salon and the car park from the toe-jam from the shoeless people before me…oh and not to mention all the puddles in the car park probably growing fungi.

My thought slipped to when JD from Scrubs was driving through puddles (yep…not as much relevance as I'd liked…but I just enjoy the episode thoroughly).

I've always been a bit of a germ freak. When I was in Turkey (location not relevant but it was a damn good trip!) a few years' back I was coming out of a service station about to take a bite of my magnum ice cream. In slow motion it slipped from my hand and onto the pavement laced in germs. It had fallen onto the path outside the men's toilets.

My sister believed the 'three second rule' should apply universally so told me just to eat it and not worry. I was keen to see if she'd practise what she was preaching and instead of making her eat it, I asked her politely to lick it clean for me.

What a sister, she totally did. And I then went on to merrily enjoy my ice cream…this time infused by familial saliva.

Now there's a gross story if you ever wanted one. I don't know who looks worse…Katie or me?

Too many segues! 

We again return to the shops. So...carrying my shoes in one hand (drawing parallels to a walk of shame, so I've heard) I walked to the car shoeless, as Jess laughed at me and I tried, in vain to avoid puddles.

Shout out to the 'non-step' escalators with a really spiky surface so Woolworths shopping trollies don't unwillingly roll into Aldi while their caretakers rush after them with arms flailing fearful for the brand-cross contamination.

That surface pierced my feet like nobody's business.

Anyway…the important thing is I got to the car without a bacterial infection…well not so far anyway.

Getting into the car I realised this was such a first world problem - having to walk to the car after a pedicure to avoid the polish chipping - while at the same time I wondered what was on the floor of my car seeming to resemble a pair of thongs.

Son of a…

Time to get some perspective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's get CLASSICAL!!!

Let's get...theoretical!

musical...happy Valentine's Day...